Our farm stand is closed for the season, but we are accepting applications for our CSA program until the program is filled.
The days are getting longer and with optimistic thoughts, spring will be here before you know it. As we enjoy the most relaxing of our 4 seasons, we still have work to do. We are setting up our crop plans and ordering the seed that will soon be started in our greenhouse. As we prepare for the 2018 season, we would like to invite you to participate in our Community Supported Agriculture program.
So many people vow to make this year healthier than the last, but how many have a game plan? That’s the key to success. Saying you’re going to eat better is only as beneficial as the changes you plan to make. We have to change our mind set from the convenience of already prepared foods, to seeking out local fresh fruits and vegetables and preparing them ourselves with low fat and sodium recipes. Many choices are always available, but you have to look for them. We feel our CSA is a great part of a healthy game plan.
Community Supported Agriculture, commonly known as CSA, is a popular term since the “Eat Local” movement. CSA programs directly link the consumer to the farmer. The middleman is eliminated. The consumer becomes a shareholder or subscriber and commits at the beginning of the growing season to purchase part of the farmer’s crops. The share fee is paid up front to help cover production costs.
Why should you join Dondero Orchards’s CSA?
- Picked at the peak of ripeness with no travel miles to get to you, our produce is offered to you every week.
- A bag full of items to serve up that week or freeze to enjoy in the middle of the cold winter, to remind us summer will be here again.
- We grow a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to bring a diverse flavor to your table. You will be first in line for the season’s most highly coveted items: Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Methley Plums, Donut Peaches, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes, Beans, HoneyCrisp Apples, Pink Lady Apples, just to name a few. In the fall, we feature a different apple each week so that you can get to know the different local varieties.
- You will receive at least $600 in products for a $500 fee per share distributed over 20 weeks. The first week or two may be light on variety as produce ripens in the fields, but once summer is in full swing, your bag will be overflowing with produce. We recommend freezing items when it’s just too much so that during the winter, you can add those frozen berries to your yogurt or defrost an egg plant Parmesan that you made in the summer so you just have to bake and enjoy!
- Every week we will feature one of our delicious farm made products (ie: a pickle, a jam, a pie, a pesto, etc..) We have received many awards on our products from Connecticut Specialty Food Association, but we always let you be the judge! All products are made from produce we grow on the farm and we transform them into deliciousness in our commercial kitchen.
- Supporting local farms is beneficial because it helps protect the environment in many ways, food is more flavorful and nutritious, you get more than you pay for and you connect with others in your community.
You may partner up with another family and “share your share.” You would make the arrangements yourselves as to which family would pick up for that week and we will cross off both parties when one family makes the pick up. We recommend alternating weeks because dividing some items into equal parts can be difficult.
Our program runs June 22 thru November 2 and pick up is every Friday between 10 am to 5 pm at our 529 Woodland Street location. All items will be in a pre-packaged bag. You may make arrangements for others to pick up your share if you are unable to. (ie: vacation)
Payment is needed at time of registration. Print and complete the application below or located on our website www.DonderoOrchards.com . Mail it to us with a check in the amount of $500 payable to: Dondero Orchards, 500 Country Club Road, South Glastonbury or submit the form online and call in your credit card information to (860) 659-4894. (checks are preferred over credit cards, only because of the fee the card companies charge us is so frustrating)
You will receive an e-mail to confirm your acceptance.
Please call Sandy if you have any questions 860-659-4894